I Hate Mountains Forums

I Hate Mountains, the free Left 4 Dead campaign official website. Download the campaign, discuss in the forums and access a lot of goodies.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

At the time I'm writing this, it's been way over a year since any meaningful content was posted to this forum. Also, the last and final version of I Hate Mountains was released almost three years ago. Which is why I believe it is time to definitely pull the plug on this forum which is going to remain in a readonly format from now on.

A warm 'thank you' to everyone that contributed to this project in a way or another! If you really need to contact the team, feel free to shoot us an email, our contact information is right here : http://www.ihatemountains.com/contact-us/
– The I Hate Mountains Team

#1 2010-06-15 06:03:11

blacksmith

Feedback of the blacksmith

Guys, congratulations. IHateMountains is one of the (if not THE) best campaings made for L4D1 (out-of-the-box-shitty-valve-campaings included). It has a darker setting, have a great realistic feel, VERY detailed, lots of multiple paths... everything that I love on a good FPS.

Map 1 - Great beginning with an original feel to it, very imerssive, with the correct lenght, not too hard, a nice, smooth introduction to the general campaing setting, good coop gameplay. 9/10

Map 2 - There is a very good (albeit short) gameplay progression on this map up to the top of the manor, and the atmosphere is fantastic. The crescendo is a bit confusing at first (especially because the radio message isn't that clear) but the concept is excellent. 9/10

Map 3 - By far my favorite! Maze like, huge, dark, claustrophobic, lots of Tanks, I love it! But I feel it's not as hard as it deserve to be (yeah, on Expert). It's easy to hold hordes on the narrow corridors or on the side rooms and the SI particularly have a  bad time trying to do something on our group, although this changes a bit for the better on the 2nd (caverns) part of the map. 9.5/10

Map 4 - The 2nd best map of the campaing. The whole sawmill area, I mean... it's just amazing, very, VERY well executed. I really enjoyed that particular blue container "thing", if you know what I mean... wink a nice surprise 9/10

Map 5 - Good finale, wich gives a fair amount of variation as to where to hold out the hordes. I feel that the MG on the balcony could go away tough (a.k.a. Blood Harvest finale). 8.5/10

Basically I loved the whole campaing, the setting, the mood, etc... but found it to be "somewhat" easier than your average campaing on Expert, but maybe (almost sure) that's just me wanting this great campaing to be even more challenging. smile

Also take notice that I'am in no way criticizing ANYTHING on this campaing, because for all the dedication and effort that you guys have put on this work have earned you my respect. I just wanted to give the general thoughts I had while playing and enjoying IHateMountains.

-------------
Anvil of Void
-------------

#2 2010-06-15 09:41:34

NykO18
Administrator
Website

Re: Feedback of the blacksmith

blacksmith wrote:

The crescendo is a bit confusing at first (especially because the radio message isn't that clear) but the concept is excellent.

Yeah, that's a shame to be honest, we'd like to do more, but as far as I know, we can't add multi-language lines and corresponding subtitles in a custom campaign. So we had to rely on default assets. That was one of our concerns here in the "THE TALKING SMOKE FLARE" section.

blacksmith wrote:

Map 3 - By far my favorite! Maze like, huge, dark, claustrophobic, lots of Tanks, I love it! But I feel it's not as hard as it deserve to be (yeah, on Expert).

We'll try to make it slightly more challenging in the next version with 15 to 25% less items spawned by the director, but we can't make it nearly impossible either. That would alienate casual players.

blacksmith wrote:

It's easy to hold hordes on the narrow corridors or on the side rooms and the SI particularly have a  bad time trying to do something on our group, although this changes a bit for the better on the 2nd (caverns) part of the map.

Agreed, which is why this level is the longer, because it's also the one where you can hold infected away the easiest. Hopefully, its darker setting and claustrophobic feeling are helping to make it a bit more oppressing and difficult.

blacksmith wrote:

Good finale, wich gives a fair amount of variation as to where to hold out the hordes. I feel that the MG on the balcony could go away tough (a.k.a. Blood Harvest finale).

Yeah, we wondered about it too. The fact that you can't really use it to wipe clean the front of the house (because it doesn't aim down) was the reason we left it, but people felt frustrated not to be able to use it this way. So we're either going to remove it or make it able to aim down... I guess the player who handles it is still quite exposed from the sides, the interior of the house and the roof.

blacksmith wrote:

Also take notice that I'am in no way criticizing ANYTHING on this campaing, because for all the dedication and effort that you guys have put on this work have earned you my respect.

Don't hesitate to, it's what makes it better in the end.

Board footer