I Hate Mountains Forums

I Hate Mountains, the free Left 4 Dead campaign official website. Download the campaign, discuss in the forums and access a lot of goodies.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

At the time I'm writing this, it's been way over a year since any meaningful content was posted to this forum. Also, the last and final version of I Hate Mountains was released almost three years ago. Which is why I believe it is time to definitely pull the plug on this forum which is going to remain in a readonly format from now on.

A warm 'thank you' to everyone that contributed to this project in a way or another! If you really need to contact the team, feel free to shoot us an email, our contact information is right here : http://www.ihatemountains.com/contact-us/
– The I Hate Mountains Team

#1 2010-06-07 19:39:13

teos

2nd level, chopper leaves, where to go?

On second level I've summoned the rescue from top of the house. When I run back down to the chopper it leaves (which is a nice touch, I think). After that I'm stuck on the area while zombies keep pouring at me from everywhere. What am I supposed to do at this point? No doors seem to have opened or anything like that.

#2 2010-06-07 19:41:36

NykO18
Administrator
Website

Re: 2nd level, chopper leaves, where to go?

Run for the cemetery and the church where the helicopter crashed.
It opened the path for you through the fences.

#3 2010-06-12 21:20:46

Agama

Can the development team implement some sort of indicator to the player as to what to do after the helicopter leaves?  Like teos, it flew away on me, and I was left dumbfounded as to what to do.  I had my back turned to the helicopter, trying to rescue the bots I was playing with, and I never saw it take off, nor crash.  I only saw the empty helipad afterwards.

I kept thinking the level would restart, as if I had failed, but when it didn't, I thought that I could summon another helicopter.  So, I ran all the way back upstairs, only to find that there was no way to do that again.  Frustrated, I came to this web site to look to see if I had missed something, which of course I had.  That's not good that it took my mindset out of the game.  Maybe there could be an enormous fireball around the downed helicopter that would attract the player's attention?

#4 2010-06-12 22:25:28

NykO18
Administrator
Website

A giant fireball won't help if you're not looking at it.
We're investigating a few solutions, but we don't know what we'll do yet.

#5 2010-06-13 06:23:31

GrossKopf
Website

Can you just add a hint thing like you have for the radios, pipe bombs, etc?

#6 2010-06-14 10:30:14

whitevioletdragon
Website

Mmm for me was pretty obvious. After all the radio noice: "go to the heli", "common you bots, the heli is waiting for you" etc.

And then, assuming the obvious: no heli rescues you in the second of FIVE MAPS campaign!!! So when I ran to the heli and the bad heli pilot left us, you cant stop thinking: zombies are eating the pilot!!! It will crash!!

Well at least that was my first experience....so fun!!! But after the heli crash i was confused for couple of minutes: where to go??. Well to the only place i have not explored yet!!! Zombies come and come so i ran to the only place where i havent been in the whole map: the heli crash!!! XD...so fun!!

PS: I thanks to the developers that they didnt make a "digested" campaign. I like chalenges and doing turns and not the awfaul "linear" maps that are so obvious and boring.

XD

#7 2010-07-24 01:56:14

don'tblink

First:  Two rhetorical (by being self answered) questions (as I have have only been playing this for a few hours and noting how I truly LOVE your work on this map, likely the BEST most reliable of add-on maps):  1)  Do the zombies EVER stop coming at the manor?  Answer:  I doubt it as in regular maps it they continually spawn (esp. "specials" as a deterrent to "hanging around".)   I love all the mini-guns mounted in the manor which will help me reach that related achievement of 53,000+ mini gun kills(it appears to be a binary multiple).  Also, thanks for no "tank" YET which would really make this first chapter too hard.  Dying is just no fun.

2) I have YET to see the "helicopter crash" fireball noted above (I'm quite sure I will find it on the next playthrough) as I now know what to look for.
    I don't know if the fire is temporary or STAYS ON but I've heard, as you likely better know, that people go where there is light.  (Beats stumbling in the dark.) so perhaps I will look for the flame of it you did not leave flames well, perhaps you can put in a REALLY lingering obvious flame will draw anyone's attention as with the constant on onslaught although I appreciate the lack of specials on EASY setting for the first few tries.   If I find a beautiful flaming helicopter I'm moving up from a dope slap to a full on "boot-to-the-head".

Minor point:  There's no point in continuing "incoming attack" comments after the initial radio contact as the rest of the chapter after radio contact is already one giant continual incoming attack that just doesn't stop (likely ending when I reach said crash site) but likely this is a limitation imposed by the SDK for this game.   

I was finally certain about NEVER being allowed on the chopper when I navigated to it very quickly on a third run through (nice bit of a maze in the house to learn) with the very helpful arrows (still it's no cake walk with all the fighting) and after radioing navigated rapidly back to landing pad, turned my back to fend my team and then bam, I turned around and the chopper was gone, no fly away scene no audio clues I noticed.  THEN it became obvious.   

As Game Commentary Nodes frequently say:  "Just getting the player to LOOK WHERE we WANT at the right time is OFTEN a REAL challenge"  and I'm sure yours is just such a situation BUT you don't want to rebuild your map (Since it isn't really "broken"....) I'm just a bit slow. 

BUT, as some have said, most players have their back turned to the helicopter, defending their team.)  concentrating on firing continually at more zombies than any map I've ever played (fun though!) Then one attempts to go FORWARD (post chopper leaving) around the mansion looking for a path only to find  a cliff (I've backtracked to a few sheds but obviously wasn't enough exploring.) 

One simple suggestion might be (as you can hear the loudspeaker making  announcements  "hurry up, and "Please use the radio) to an " "I'm going down." or "Mayday!"  (IF THAT is EVEN technically possible as I'm guessing are limited to major voice sound already in the Source Engine in L4D.) Thus trying to get the pilot's voice say so is impossible.  Still, stupendous work I was just a TAD frustrated as not being able to find a way out the first three times and on first two just figured I getting to the chopper fast enough was a timing based puzzle.. then realized, (dope slap self administered) duh.... you're SUPPOSED to walk through the mountains..hence the NAME of the map, such an easy escape was a terrific red herring (or what I initially hoped.... a cool way new to get to the next chapter). 

Thanks for the map and the thread anticipated for we, the not so observant or at least too impatient to take time to explore properly.

If you have managed ALL this with the source SDK problems (as listed limiting you and leading to innumerable bugs to work out (as I don't keep track of such things) well, an extra WOW!  You'd THINK Valve would WANT extra maps (as this invariably increases demand by expanding the game's appeal for FREE!)

Even though the standard maps are ostensibly "infinitely replayable" one does quickly tire of the same predictable battles with bots (I can't play online - see below)  So what if the monsters and dialog change slightly and FAR less than predicted by the commentary nodes?  I don't suppose Valve cares that more WORKING maps would make the would game far more appealing thus making L4D really worth buying (for us noob bot lovers) if there were LOTS of good working maps to be had. I'd play more online if campaign mode were currently stable.

Valve can be such geniuses sometimes and such complete dolts at other times (such as not YET having finished the HL2 trilogy (what is it... nearly a decade now?), or the aforementioned SDK issues for this game(their doltish behahviors) on the other hand they seemed to drop everything else for Portal and L4D as groundbreaking fun (the genius part).

Note: Don't suggest I play online as a more fun option.  I've tried it and EVERY online campaign I've tried has frozen(at the start or worse, towards the end) a LOT (over-run servers I'm guessing at L4D's new reduced price - that will take time to even out.)

(right now the majority of OTHER maps get 80s a "B" grade by any standard and I didn't want to START trying new maps that were rife with bugs or poor game play also some people's idea of fun or interesting doesn't match what I EXPECT from this genre.

I refused to BUY L4D2 JUST for its extra maps and much ballyhooed melee weapons. (Especially since the system requirements for L4D2 push the limits of rigs that are fine for the original L4D.)  Who wants to pay top dollar for a game then then play with reduced image quality just for a decent frame rate?

I can't begin to imagine the time and effort required to make such complex maps.  (I made a very simple Red Alert2 map back in the day) one image, and just THAT  took the entire summer.)

So again, thanks for the map, this forum (obviously I have my answer from reading the above posts but had to put in my "five bucks" worth.. as I can almost never write a BRIEF post, they all turn into novellas. smile

Last edited by don'tblink (2010-07-24 03:02:54)

-------------------------------------------
.......excuse me while I kiss the sky!
                             - Jimi Hendrix

Board footer