I Hate Mountains Forums

I Hate Mountains, the free Left 4 Dead campaign official website. Download the campaign, discuss in the forums and access a lot of goodies.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

At the time I'm writing this, it's been way over a year since any meaningful content was posted to this forum. Also, the last and final version of I Hate Mountains was released almost three years ago. Which is why I believe it is time to definitely pull the plug on this forum which is going to remain in a readonly format from now on.

A warm 'thank you' to everyone that contributed to this project in a way or another! If you really need to contact the team, feel free to shoot us an email, our contact information is right here : http://www.ihatemountains.com/contact-us/
– The I Hate Mountains Team

#26 2010-06-19 14:41:41

HeadHunter

Re: Brief Critical Thoughts

llod wrote:

I think it's fair to say that in the event of a zombie apocalypse it would be quite normal to get lost frequently as following a set path would be extremely difficult.

I think it's fair to say that in the event of a zombie apocalypse, 99% of the people playing this game would be DEAD.

People play games to be entertained, not confused.  And let's not reach too far to inject "realism" into this scenario. wink

#27 2010-06-19 16:10:55

NykO18
Administrator
Website

HeadHunter wrote:

People play games to be entertained, not confused.  And let's not reach too far to inject "realism" into this scenario. wink

Let's not reach too far to inject the contrary either.
It's all about reaching a balance between realism and enjoyability.
Our goal was to add more realism than Valve campaigns (especially the last ones a.k.a Crach Course for L4D1 and The Passing for L4D2) without sacrificing too much enjoyability.

#28 2010-06-20 14:26:06

CptDobey
Website

There is one point I still don't get. Why people keep coming with this windows jump'o death story?

First game:
The window is broken. You jump. You die.

Second game
The windows is broken... Do you jump?

Personally, I do not.
(to be honest, I didn't jump during the first game. It is *obvious* it is a bad idea to jump.

On a more general point of view I do not understand why some people are so rude about this campaign. You're free to dislike it for whatever good or bad reason, but why do you judge the people who made it? If you do not like it like it is, do not play it. If you do not like dark map, go play L4D2.

This is the work of three people (only). It took 18 months to release. It is free. They do deserve some respect. Constructive criticisms are ok, but bashing the authors is unacceptable and complaining about "the windows jump o' death" is just ridiculous.

Last edited by CptDobey (2010-06-20 14:31:49)

#29 2010-06-20 14:50:12

NykO18
Administrator
Website

Well, I don't think it's that bad, hey.
Now that you talk about it, it's right that it's strange because if you try to jump from the manor's window, the game prevent you from falling and you hang on the ledge. So you REALLY have to try hard.

#30 2010-06-21 08:28:47

llod

HeadHunter wrote:
llod wrote:

I think it's fair to say that in the event of a zombie apocalypse it would be quite normal to get lost frequently as following a set path would be extremely difficult.

I think it's fair to say that in the event of a zombie apocalypse, 99% of the people playing this game would be DEAD.

No no, people that play this game would have a tactical advantage tongue

HeadHunter wrote:

Why the hell not? Realism can be entertaining, and to suggest confusion cannot go hand in hand with entertainment isn't true. The number of games that deliberately do this is endless.

#31 2010-06-23 01:38:32

HeadHunter

Sure, realism can be entertaining - but when you've already suspended disbelief to the point where the dead walk the earth, we're beyond any facsimile of "realism", so why even bother?

I think too many gamers misuse the term "realism" when perhaps they mean "authenticity".

Last edited by HeadHunter (2010-06-23 01:39:21)

#32 2010-06-29 21:24:44

llod

Thats just being pedantic. The point was confusion in relation to this campaign (getting lost, going in circles..) can be  entertaining.

I'd like to think that even though yes it's never going to happen (though one can never rule anything out!!) that in itself is not a reason to not bother.

#33 2010-07-23 00:02:47

Keldorn

NykO18 wrote:
UglyDuck wrote:
UglyDuck wrote:

Don't use hand written font for writing on the walls. Given that the maps are of such a high quality, seeing a rookie mistake like that is disappointing. Always hand draw your wall scrawlings.

Sorry, we don't have the hardware needed for this (a.k.a, a graphics tablet) and it's definitely not worth hand-drawing everything, scanning it, tweaking it, reworking it, exporting it, converting it, importing it into the game, testing it, fixing it, and so on.

I bought a graphic tablet on Tigerdirect.ca for a few bucks there not that expensive.

Edit: Oh and the window. I jumped out the window too.. I didn't really get it. I think this valve's fault for not putting custom hints into the game. You couldn't really do much to direct the players.

Last edited by Keldorn (2010-07-23 00:14:10)

#34 2010-07-23 08:08:36

NykO18
Administrator
Website

Keldorn wrote:

I bought a graphic tablet on Tigerdirect.ca for a few bucks there not that expensive.

Even at 1€, I don't have 1€ to put in a graphic tablet I will never use in my life.

#35 2010-08-03 11:24:32

matrixmark

Lol you didnt know that jumping out of windows is bad?!

wow...just wow...

Board footer